Thursday, May 27, 2010

Writer's block and getting back on track...

Having just opened an account with one of those "social networking" sites, I was reminded about the importance of written expression. And that it made no sense at all to write fragments here and there when all you really write are fragments anyway - yes, it makes sense to me...

By the looks of this blog, 2009 was a down year. And indeed it was. The rollercoaster of job, life, health and personal self-expression dance in independent yet confluent ways. 2009 was just such a year. On top of this, the guilt of visiting the page and seeing the empty space; the lack of time to express more than sound bites; and the dreaded fear of the blank page... All can get too big - too powerful.

I've never been a real diary type guy. Indeed I was always attracted to the tools of the trade: the stationary, the pens, the bound journals. But in the end, the only ones that have persisted have been those associated with work or a log I keep with my computer. The former to be able to avoid the endless scraps of paper which people use to take notes during meetings - my solution was to find "journals" like those we were taught to use in engineering school. Here in India, paper products are pretty good and I found some perfect-bound 500 page lined journals that fit the bill well. As for the latter, with age and increasing complexity comes the frequeny question: "How did I do that?". My answer has been to use a book that I keep in the home office so that I can write down how I installed the content filtering system to prevent my child from the big bad wolves of the internet, what was the esoteric command I used to compare files, etc.

Of course, in the end it is not only getting the tools right and finding the time, but most importantly stumbling upon the inspiration to feel compelled to write something.

No comments: